“What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” (Pericles)
“Man wants to know that his life has somehow counted, if not for himself, then at least in the larger scheme of things, that it has left a trace, a trace that has meaning.” (Earnest Becker, Author)
We all have a deep desire to feel we’ve ‘made a difference’ and that our lives were significant. Most of the time, our achievements aren’t counted in dollars and cents, but the human results, that we made a difference in the lives of those we love.
Make the most of your memories (and those of older family members) and record them for future generations before it’s too late. It seems our stories or oral histories are often enjoyed at the moment, but are not passed down to our succeeding generations. We’re often busy with work, chores, or other activities, and the older family members we need to reach out to may not live near-by. If we allow a busy life to crowd out taking time to preserve memories, one day we might stop and wonder about our unique family story, but the elders who can fill in many of the details may no longer be around.
Another vital part of your life story is the financial and material legacy you will leave. “Honor the Lord from your wealth…” (Prov. 3:9) It doesn’t matter how large an estate is for it to make sense to have a plan which reflects your wishes.
It can be overwhelming when faced with so many things to consider such as health and life insurance, investments, tax planning, wills and trusts, and much more. Unfortunately this often results in postponing, or even avoiding, this important step. We offer overviews of these subjects, explained simply, without legal or financial jargon.
Some of the classes and services we offer include:
Life Stories, Family History
- The Importance of Telling Your Life Story
- Priceless Conversations – We can help you record your stories, thus preserving your legacy. You choose topics from a long list of subjects and provide you with some questions to think about before we get together to record your story. All you have to do is tell your story in a relaxed conversation with us, sharing the life stories you want your loved ones to remember. Both CD and video interviews are available as well as photo or document scanning that add to your stories.
- What is a Godly Retirement?
- Retirement Planning
- Budgeting – Living within your Means
- Health and Your Retirement Years
- Things to Know about Insurance
- Savings and Investments
- Your Housing Plan
- Wills, Trusts, Estates
- Giving to Others
- Funeral Planning
- Who Gets Grandma’s Yellow Pie Plate?
*We work with a number of financial, accounting, and legal professionals who are available to assist in preparing plans that are right for you and your family. We do not sell any financial products and do not receive compensation for referrals.
- American adults who haven’t completed an advanced directive 70%
- People who believe the process is too complicated 25%
- Adults who carry long-term care insurance 3%
- People admitted to a nursing home who go broke within 3 months and return home 70%